Monday, February 24, 2020


1800
 
 
 
"1800" is the affectionate name we gave to the house in which my parents lived for forty good years. My father bought the house in 1954 when my twin sister and I were two years old. By that time my parents had seven people that needed beds. The list included my parents, an older brother and sister, me and my twin sister and my father's mother. I have no memory of our first house at all but when I was older I would drive by it with my parents and they would tell me about how great the neighborhood was because they had made life long friends.
 
I really believe it used to snow more when I was growing up. My memory may be mistaken but I could swear it would snow every single year. In 1800 we had radiators for warmth and they were the best thing to put your sodden gloves or socks on to dry after sledding on a sheet pan for hours in the cold snow. School invariably was on hold while no one drove on the streets and no busses passed in front of our house. All was made pure, white and quiet until children's voices could be heard throwing snowballs or building a snowman. One could not resist going out and joining in the neighborhood fun.
 
Afterwards hot chocolate waited for our return to 1800 after being chilled to the bone. As soon as our noses thawed and our gloves dried out it was back out the door while the sun shone. It's amazing how a day after a snowstorm the sky shines blue as a robin's egg and the trees turn into crystal sculptures shining like they are made of venetian glass. It seemed as though each snow that fell was deep enough that when I would have to stomp slowly through it to get anywhere it reached up my calves.
 
Now if we get any snow here it usually is not very deep. If it is then we are delighted even though the newscast reports doom and gloom if you are not prepared. One of my daughters lives in Minnesota and I am sure they would all laugh up there at us down here in the South as we prepare diligently to be snowed in for one day. All the milk and bread disappears from the grocery store shelves as well as peanut butter and jelly. The neighborhood Lowe's puts salt and scrapers to the front of the store along with flashlights of varying sizes. Heaven knows you may lose power so you better get two of  those and all your candles ready.
 
We did have a huge snow in 2000. Was it 21 inches? I was away in the warm climate of the Bahamas when it occurred and therefore was stranded until our plane could finally take off in the tropics towards a land blanketed in the white stuff. Catching a ride home in a reliable snow worthy car from a stranger that my traveling companions and I met at the airport was our sleighride home. It was magnificent. I don't believe I've ever experienced snow that deep.
 
 
(c)nancy  2.24.2020

No comments:

Post a Comment